Griddle / Plancha Insert for Gas, Electric or Charcoal Grills. by Arteflame
- Spend $50. Get FREE Shipping
Fulfilled by our friends at Arteflame
Grill "The Best Steak You Will Ever Have". Steakhouse quality steaks grilled at home.
The Arteflame Grill Grate Replacements for gas, electric or charcoal grills turns any standard grill into a plancha style Arteflame griddle grill. MADE in the USA, Arteflame inserts are perfect for grilling seafood, steaks, burgers, veggies and more. The plancha griddle eliminates the slots through which food loses all its juiciness. Perfect for getting that delicious smokey flavor without the burn.
Unparalleled Quality with Attention to Detail
Why should you buy an Arteflame brand insert versus a less expensive imitation? What makes Arteflame different?
- Arteflame only uses certified steel. This steel is cleaned, rinsed and is scale free.
- When steel is made, an oxide layer referred to as “scale” appears. This is due to the scaly nature of its appearance that develops on the surface of the steel. This scale contains all the impurities in the steel that come to the surface when the steel cools. Arteflame uses an extensive cleaning process that removes any scale and all other impurities before we even start manufacturing. This results in the smooth, clean Arteflame insert surface you see and grill on.
- Arteflame steel then gets precision cut on expensive laser machines, wiped clean and oiled. This insures every Arteflame insert will have a smooth, food grade surface where no food particles can lodge and hide.
- This step, while more expensive, ensures a top quality product that is immediately ready for cooking and also guaranteed to be food grade safe.
Carbon Steel vs Cast Iron
- Carbon Steel and Cast Iron are very similar. This is why both are very good for cooking and grilling. The main difference is that Carbon Steel contains about 1% Carbon while Cast Iron contains 2% - 3% Carbon. This difference might not sound like much but the carbon effects the grain structure of the metal.
- As the Carbon gets added to the steel mix, Carbon has a tendency to clump together into lumpy carbides and form pockets of pure carbon (graphite). When this happens, the metal becomes very hard and very brittle. It disrupts the grain of the metal, making it irregular, brittle and prone to cracking. This is the reason why Cast Iron often cracks or breaks.
- When Cast Iron is heated unevenly, the heat differential causes stress in the metal as the thermal expansion is uneven. When this stress encounters a pocket of carbon, Cast Iron cracks. This is also why Cast Iron often breaks when it is dropped. The area of high carbon is extremely brittle and can’t stand the shock.
- Because Carbon Steel has only 1% Carbon, this phenomena is negligible and much easier to control and prevent from cracking breaking or chipping. The grain structure in Carbon Steel is very uniform and virtually impervious to heat stress or shock.
- In addition to this, Carbon Steel is “rolled” in the steel mill. It is forced between heavy rollers while the steel is hot. After rolling the steel and getting it to the right thickness, the steel is “doused” with cold water that causes the grain structure to freeze in place. This makes Carbon Steel very strong and the choice material to cook on. Even with uneven heat loads or dropping Carbon Steel, it will not break or crack. This allows for a lifetime of use.
- In contrast, anything made of cast iron must be small in surface area. This is because the larger the surface area and the thinner the material, the more prone Cast Iron is to cracking and breaking. As a consequence cast iron is NOT a good choice for grills, inserts or any large surface product. This is why Arteflame only uses Carbon steel which will last a lifetime.
- In a grill, the heat is never uniform. This makes cast Iron an especially poor choice for grill inserts. For this reason, all Arteflame cooktops, inserts, griddles and Burger Pucks are made of only Carbon Steel.
There are many grills and many different grill grate sizes. As these often change, make sure you order the correct size for your grill. The simplest way of making sure you get the right size is by measuring the grill grate that came with your grill. Then simply select the corresponding size from the drop down list. Many people also buy the size they like best and just lay it on top of the existing grill grates.
Measure the overall length (long side) and the overall width (short side). Then select the corresponding Arteflame insert from the drop down list. As the stock grill grates fit fairly loose, measuring within 1/4" is perfectly fine.
- Various Grill Grate Replacements for gas, electric or charcoal grills sizes available
- Easy move handle with food guards on two sides
- Replace your existing grill grate or lay on top of your grates for added versatility
- Use with wood, charcoal, gas or electric grills
- Precision laser cut from solid US steel for ready to use food grade finish
- Virtually maintenance-free: quick and easy clean up
- Cooktop seasons with use
- Made in USA, guaranteed not to break or crack
- *GRILL NOT INCLUDED* with purchase
Note: When the plancha grill insert arrives, the cooktop will be silver (unseasoned). It will develop the dark color shown in the images once it's been used several times.